Dog owners always want their furry friends to be healthy and happy. That’s why so many people are looking for low-sodium dog food.
It is challenging to get low-sodium food because not all brands have it available in stores or online.
But don’t worry! We’ve thoroughly researched for you so that now finding low-sodium dog foods is simple and convenient. Here are our top 10 picks:
- Earthborn Holistic Adult Vantage
- Wellness complete Lamb and Barley
- Wellness Simple Turkey and Potato
- Wellness Complete Toy Breed Chicken, Brown rice and Peas
- Earthborn Weight control
- Orijen Tundra
- Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Pet Food
- Solid Gold Hund
- The Honest Kitchen Beef Recipe Grain-Free Dehydrated Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Formula
- Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet Duck & Oatmeal Formula Canned Dog Food
- PureBites Turkey Breast Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats
13 Most Popular Mild Sodium Dog Food
Find below the most popular dog foods low in sodium.
Earthborn Holistic’s Adult Vantage Natural Dry Dog Food is packed with protein from animal sources like wholesome whitefish or chicken meal. The best part is that it does not contain artificial flavors.
This diet helps ensure your pup will have the strength to live a healthy, vigorous life. Balanced levels of calcium and phosphorus help maintain strong teeth and bones for every dog.
The dry kibble comes in a variety of flavors that will change your pup’s world as they take their first bite.
The premium ingredients, a shortlist of natural preservatives, and no by-products help maintain a healthy immune system to power them through the long days with you while also providing easy digestibility for regular bowel movements.
Adult Vantage is perfect for your dog’s diet and helps your furry friend stay active and on the go!
- Help maintain muscle mass and bone strength.
- Promote a healthy digestive system
- Antioxidant blend to boost the immune system
- Improve your dog’s diet by providing an animal protein-rich diet that is enough to keep them full but not too much for weight management
- Protect against chronic health problems such as osteoporosis, dental caries, skin allergies, and obesity
Wellness Complete Health Lamb & Barley is all-natural dry food for dogs designed to provide whole-body nutritional support.
This wild grain-free recipe provides premium proteins and wholesome grains, adding omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, digestive enzymes, probiotics, and taurine.
Wellness Health Holistic pet food formulas work together as a synergistic balance of science and nature to promote the healthiest diet possible for you and your best friend.
This complete and balanced food provides optimal immune system function and optimized energy levels, and a desirable coat to keep Rover in good health.
There are no GMOs, meat by-products, or fillers present in this highly nutritious dish, ensuring you are satisfied when feeding your dog.
- Includes high-quality animal protein sources that are easy for dogs to digest
- Increase your pet’s health and longevity with just one healthy food dish
- Provides a complete nutritional balance
- Only contains premium ingredients from around the world
- Crafted in America with care
Our biodegradable, high-quality ingredients, partnered with the industry-leading expertise of our team of veterinarians and nutritionists, have come up with a single source diet that contains an ingredient list you can read through in seconds.
Feed your pup a meal that will help him, or her stay healthy and happy. Wellness Simple’s Limited Ingredient Diet is made with a single, super-healthy protein source: delicious, high-quality turkey!
The ingredients are designed to support whole-body health, which means he’ll get all the nutrients he needs while quickly digesting it too.
Plus, this dry food is fortified with omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants along with natural glucosamine.
So stuff his bowl for dinner tonight with well-balanced goodness from Wellness Simple Turkey and Potato Formula Dog Food!
- Reduced risk of kidney disease
- It contains omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and glucosamine for healthy joints.
- Fortified with probiotics and taurine to support digestive health
- It contains a single source of protein and digestible carbohydrates
- Promotes holistic health and wellness
- Provides natural ingredients that are free of gluten – soy – corn – wheat
Wellness Complete Health Chicken & Rice Toy Breed Dog Food is good for you and your pup. You can feel great about providing a wholesome diet to the adorable little furball that constantly has you laughing with this healthy food.
The superior quality of the ingredients ensures complete health by supplying protein for optimal growth and omega-3 fatty acids for a robust immune system.
With high-quality proteins such as deboned chicken, brown rice, peas, oats, and salmon meal as primary sources of nutrition in mind, it’s no wonder why Wellness Full Health Chicken & Rice Toy Breed Dog Food keeps your pup feeling their best all day long!
- Fortified with select nutrients to give you the best possible nutritional support
- It helps build a strong immune system, giving your pet more energy
- Excellent for skin and coat health
- Smaller kibble size for easy eating
- Crafted from only the finest ingredients
Earthborn Holistic Weight Control Dry Dog Food is the perfect solution for all of your dog’s weight problems. Made to sustain a healthy weight, this low-fat kibble features a turkey meal and Pacific Whiting meal which help support lean muscle growth.
It also includes omega fatty acids for coat and skin health and a blend of nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables that provide an excellent source of vitamins and minerals for overall canine nutrition.
Earthborn Holistic Weight Control Dry Dog Food is the go-to choice for canines who need extra guidance in shedding pounds.
The result? A happy, healthy pup who will always be in its best shape! This dry dog food is available at select supermarkets nationwide, so find it today!
- For dogs who want to be on a weight control diet
- Specially made without peas, lentils, or legumes for specific dietary needs
- Nourishes skin with omega fatty acids
- It helps prevent obesity in puppies and senior dogs
- It contains real fruits, vegetables, omega fats to promote heart health
ORIJEN Tundra Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is made with crunchy pasture-raised lamb, succulent lamb liver and heart, fresh or raw deer meat, wild boar nourished with a vegetable and fruit diet.
These all are mixed in an easily digestible protein-rich soy-free kibble that features duck meal as well as flaxseed to support the skin’s natural moisture barrier.
ORIJEN Tundra Grain-Free dry food also provides your pet naturally preserved Atlantic herring filled with pure omega-three fatty acids as well as nutrient-dense cultured kelp straight from the cold waters off Newfoundland – delivering potent antioxidants essential for a healthy immune system.
- Provide a healthy and high-quality dry food
- Provides the latest advancements in dieting for pets
- Satisfies the natural preferences of your pet or rejuvenate their appetite with protein-rich meats
- Your pet has a choice of proteins that will fulfill their nutritional needs
Woof, it’s never too soon to start being a good owner. Fostering great habits with dry dog food may be the key to success.
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain-Free Pet Food is an easy way to provide your pup with real ingredients they’ll love and can digest quickly.
This grain-free recipe has been formulated with novel proteins, including real smoked salmon, grapeseed oil, peas, and sweet potatoes, that deliver highly digestible energy your active buddy needs on their lifelong quest for adventures!
The all-natural Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain-Free Dry Dog Food will keep his hunger in check without having to limit any other treats whatsoever!
He’ll be happier than ever knowing he’s eating the best you both deserve!
So show them some love today by choosing healthy options like this grain-free recipe flavor!
- Grain-Free, All Natural – Healthier than most brands
- Superfoods and Minerals for a more natural approach to dog food
- Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids for a shiny coat and healthy skin
- Made in America by a family-owned brand
- It contains specialized K9 Strain Probiotics, which may help with digestion, immune system health, and overall wellness.
Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken Lamb, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley Recipe Whole Grain Dry Food For Senior Dogs
Join your pup as he indulges in this delicious, satisfying dish of Solid Gold. Bold and creative flavors come to life with every morsel – wonderful for a meal or just a tasty snack!
Topped off with lamb as the very first ingredient, your fur baby will be both satisfied and healthy, living up to his maximum potential in all areas: health, wellness, stamina.
Best served mixed with water (to ensure it stays fresh!), this brown rice and the pearled barley-based dish is super rich in fiber that’ll help keep him full for longer periods!
Brown rice and pearled barley provide an excellent source of fiber-coupled with omega 3s from pasture-raised lamb, which has less saturated fat than other meat varieties.
This delicious, wholesome food has a unique blend of healthy, functional ingredients that help support your dog’s vital organs and boost their energy. It’s easy on the stomach with its gentle barley grain recipe and no artificial flavors.
And it’ll give your pets some shiny whiskers, smooth as silk fur, and firm muscles to boot. Give Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken Lamb, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley Recipe Whole Grain dry dog food a try today!
- Formulated with high quality, organic ingredients
- Provides balanced nutrition for your pet
- Supports regular digestive health daily
- It contains 2 different fatty acids that are important for the mind/mood.
Our Grain-Free Dehydrated Dog Food is made without the use of corn, wheat, or soy, made with only 100% real, ranch-raised beef and a variety of fruits and vegetables like cranberries, coconut, sweet potatoes, kale, and more.
No corn or wheat means no need to worry about allergies; our dog food is a wholesome meal for pups that are just as delicious!
It’s time to bid goodbye to store-bought kibble, cooked chicken off the bone, or anything containing nitrates.
The grain-free dehydrated dog food recipes are more nutritious for dogs of all ages as they have no added corn or soy fillers. They also taste delicious with fresh fruits, vegetables, proteins such as beef and cranberries!
There’s just nothing better than clean protein from pasture-raised beef that both you AND your best friend will enjoy!
- A complete diet for your dog with a grain-free diet
- Made with real ranch-raised beef, fruits, and vegetables to give them a taste of the wild
- Supports food sensitivities by removing corn, wheat, soy, and sugars from their food
- Made with real ranch-raised beef
- All-natural, no preservatives or artificial colors
- High in protein and digestible for sensitive stomach
Hill’s Science Diet Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Formula is a healthy and balanced meal for the efficient dog. Made with organic ingredients, this nourishing formula is made in the United States to meet your pet’s needs and promote skin health.
It would be the perfect meal for all of your favorite furry pup’s needs. Hill’s scours all of America to ensure that every single ingredient meets strict requirements to be considered safe and nutritious for deer Fido.
Never mind that all ingredients surpass any industry standards; this delicious food provides your pup with everything he deserves to live a happy, healthy life.
Give your dog all-natural ingredients they need to live a life of health and happiness!
- It comes in three varieties (Standard, Large Breed, and Overweight)
- Feed with Hill’s Science Diet dry kibble for a complete and balanced diet
- Provides 36% protein from high-quality lamb meal
- Omega fatty acids and vitamins for a shiny coat
- Maintains strong, lean muscles
- Supports a healthy immune system
Introducing Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Duck & Oatmeal Canned Dog Food. Rich in savory, high-quality ingredients and crafted with your pet’s digestive needs in mind, this wet food will help give them the energy they need to chase you around the yard all day long.
Made for peaceful digestion and an optimal coat and skin, this is one product that helps create healthy living habits without skimping on the flavor! The twenty-four-ounce cans are perfect for those who love their best friend for lunch or dinner time.
Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Duck & Oatmeal Canned Dog Food is made with only natural and wholesome ingredients.
This canned dog food doesn’t contain any meat by-products or artificial preservatives. It pleases even the most selective of palates thanks to the mouthwatering combination of duck and oatmeal as its two main ingredients.
This wet dog food has all the benefits of a premium canine diet without all the fuss that comes from preparing your home-cooked meals for your favorite furry friend!
- A single, all-natural ingredient that is proven to provide an easy way to help your pet digest their food
- Promotes easy digestion and increased energy levels. It contains no meat by-products or artificial preservatives.
- Crafted by animal lovers and veterinarians who understand the importance of clean ingredients on the health of our pets
- Promotes healthy skin and coat with added vitamins/minerals
Pure turkey breast is the ONLY ingredient in these treats—We’ve all heard about how important it is to know what’s on your dog’s food. Knowing just one bite can mean an ethical, healthier life for your pup. So enjoy giving them a taste they can’t refuse!
Only three calories each—In the world of pet nutrition, anything with less than 30 calories per ounce or grams earns its “useful caloric intake” (UCI) designation and becomes an awesomely low-calorie responsibility.
With only three average calories, you’re helping curb overweight pups as well as promoting longevity in older dogs with less demanding metabolic.
Nothing satisfies more than knowing that your furry friend is getting all the nutrients they need. Because of their freeze-drying process, PureBites have a long shelf life and can be stored without going bad! Give your pup an evening snack made from pure turkey breast.
- It helps promote skeletal health
- Ideal for dogs on a tight diet
- It is low in sodium
- Provides high-quality protein
- It can be given to dogs who are sick or recovering from surgery
- Made in the USA with no added preservatives
- A wide range of flavors and sizes to choose from
- 100% natural ingredients
Below is the detailed buying guide for best low sodium dog food for your pup.
Amount of Sodium Suitable For Your Dog
It seems as though there are only a few ways to ensure your dog is getting excess sodium: check the label or do some research online.
Without such information, you may unknowingly be giving him too much protein and not nearly enough salt – which could lead to issues of dehydration in dogs with kidney problems.
Some dog food manufacturers add more than necessary amounts of salt into their products which is unhealthy for our pets.
However, it does not seem to harm them as severely as we would expect based on how humans react when ingesting large quantities.
For example, according to research done by Drs Palmer and Kohler at Tufts University Veterinary School over many years, there has been no evidence found showing an increase in high blood pressure amongst most animals, including cats or dogs who have ingested excessive sodium levels.
According to the American Association of Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), adult dogs require at least 0.3% sodium per 100kcal or about 100mg per day for their diet.
So we must ensure they’re getting enough through food sources as well as supplements if necessary.
Excess sodium in any food leads to increased blood pressure and other health issues, but too little could hinder muscle activity.
Thus, having just the right amount will keep your pup healthy while making sure he doesn’t get fat from his favorite treats!
Reasons Why Should You Feed Your Dog Low Sodium Dog Foods?
Sodium is an essential mineral. But if a dog suffers from heart disease or kidney disease, vets recommend low sodium diets to help maintain the dog’s health.
It is imperative to strike a natural balance in consuming sodium via diet.
Without enough blood flow, it is imperative for sickly dogs with these ailments to be placed on a diet of rich protein and nutrients but not so high in salt content.
Studies show how lowered sodium levels can also lower cholesterol levels and reduce stress on their kidneys, which will keep them healthier longer if they’re given this balance.
Heart problems are common among dogs as they age, just as humans might suffer from such things – an average lifespan up until today has been 12 years old.
Still, new research shows that half of all large breeds die by four because, over time, their hearts weaken due to strains on their organ walls during exertion.
This makes them fragile when faced with sudden changes in posture or activity level.
Your precious pet could be at risk for a heart problem. It’s estimated that 60% of small dogs, such as the Chihuahua or Yorkshire Terrier suffer from heart disease when they are over ten years old.
Another 20-40% may damage their valves which regulates blood flow in and out of this vital muscle.
What Should Your Low Sodium Dog Food Contain?
It is essential that low-sodium diets be nutritious and satisfying, as they are no different than any other food.
They should also have the same qualities of a high-quality product, like delicious taste or texture.
Dogs need to eat meat to stay healthy and should consume most of their calories from animal protein. They do not require a whole meal made up of one type of food like people often believe.
However, they are usually better off with an assortment rather than just eating a chicken meal every day, for example.
Protein sources that dogs can benefit from include deboned chicken or turkey and beef, lamb, pork, trout, or salmon if you’re looking for variety!
Many people believe that the best food is made in America or Canada. After all, these two countries have strict safety and quality regulations that reduce harmful substances from entering your dog’s body through their foods!
In today’s world of globalization, it can be hard to find products made in one specific country; however, there are still a few like my favorite- Western Europe.
While most dog owners can agree that no matter what kind of food they feed their pup, it’s vital for them to get the proper nutrition.
However, not all carbohydrates are created equally, and unfortunately, while many people believe “enriched” is a signifier of high nutritional value, enriched wheat provides very few calories with less fiber.
In contrast, wholewheat provides much better numbers than how much fiber you’re getting per calorie.
Advantages Of Consuming Low Sodium Dog Foods
A low-sodium diet is not only good for your pal’s blood pressure but also his digestive system. With less salt in his food, he will enjoy a healthier and more enjoyable life!
Although salt has a reputation for making things salty, it can also help make your pet’s life easier. Crushed-up or powdered dry dog food is more easily digested and hydrates the animal better than water alone.
Salt absorbs liquid, which means that your pup won’t need to drink as much plain old H2O to stay well hydrated!
Like humans, aging dogs can suffer from various conditions that could lead to organ failure and decreased muscle function.
Your dog may avoid or reduce the risk for heart disease and other ailments by reducing their sodium intake with foods such as canned green beans and fresh vegetables.
There are many different options available for you and your pup. The best way to ensure that the food is of good quality and meets all of your requirements is by contacting the company or talking with a veterinarian about what will work best for your pet’s specific needs.
If you’re extra-cautious because of health issues like high blood pressure or kidney disease, be sure to verify sodium content before making any purchases so that your furry friend can enjoy their meal without worry!