Chow chows are one of the most distinctive canines you’ll ever meet, being independent, loyal, and highly affectionate.
The Chow is a robust and hardy dog that requires a nutritious diet to be healthy.
So, which dog food is best for your Chow? What should you feed them, exactly?
There are so many food brands on the market these days, and with so many recalls recently, it can be challenging to make an informed selection.
The dog food market is full of low-quality, pricey meals that cause food allergies when you give them to your pet dog and aren’t worth a fraction of the money.
Fortunately, we’ve already completed all of the necessary research. The best dog food for Chow Chows and reduced it down to 11 high-quality premium dog meals so you can choose the finest dog food brand for your money.
Learn more about Chow Chows in our list and unique buyer’s guide below.
Here are the 11 most popular dog foods for Chow Chows!
- Taste of the Wild Pacific Streams Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Zignature Lamb Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- American Journey Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Merrick Backcountry Freeze-Dried Raw Grain-Free Great Plains Red Recipe Big Game Recipe with Beef, Lamb & Rabbit Dry Dog Food
- Taste of the Wilds High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- ZiwiPeak Beef Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food
- Nutro Natural’s Choice Senior Lamb & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Senior Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Grain-Free Sweet Potato & Venison Formula Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe with Red Meat Large Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Merrick Grain-Free Wet Puppy Food Puppy Plate Chicken Recipe
Taste Of The Wild Pacific Streams Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Feeding your dog Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain-Free Dry Dog Food will provide your Chow Chow with the balanced diet that nature intended.
This grain-free recipe contains novel proteins like real smoked salmon, peas, and sweet potatoes for highly digestible energY.
The natural antioxidant support from real fruits and vegetables, as well as Chicory root, dried, for prebiotic assistance and a healthy digestive system.
Amino acids are used to chelate essential minerals, promote optimal absorption and benefit, resulting in complete and balanced nutrition with a taste of the wild that your pet will love.
This recipe is also good in digestibility and comprises light carbohydrates such as peas and sweet potatoes. The meal contains a lot of fruits and vegetables, which are essential sources of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for a healthy digestive and immune system.
This recipe is also perfect for sensitive chow chows because it is free of grains, fillers, wheat, maize, and other artificial substances.
- Contains smoked salmon dry dog food
- Contains actual fish as the first ingredient and is substantial in protein (32%)
- Vitamins and minerals from natural fruits and superfoods
- Includes Omega fatty acids for skin and coat health
- It contains K9 Strain Proprietary Probiotics that promote good digestion and immune system health
- Grain-free, corn-free, wheat-free, artificial flavor-free, and artificial color-free.
Zignature Lamb Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Feed Zignature Lamb Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food to your favorite buddy to fill their dish with good nourishment.
Your dog will love a meal made with natural, farm-raised lamb from New Zealand and nutritious peas, chickpeas, and flaxseed.
A highly-reduced formulation in Zignature Lamb L.I.D. The formula provides a satisfying and readily digestible meal for sensitive and allergic dogs.
Real, farm-raised lamb meat is one of the components, providing high-quality protein to assist lean muscle growth and sustenance.
Grain, maize, wheat, soy, dairy, and even chicken are all excluded from the dog food recipe since some dogs are sensitive to even common foods.
Aside from that, the food is high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, making it a complete and balanced meal for your dog.
This meat-first formulation provides dogs with the protein they require. At the same time, Zignature’s limited ingredient recipe eliminates allergens like chicken, corn, wheat, soy, and potatoes, resulting in hypoallergenic, low-glycemic nutrition.
Combine that with essential antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and a full range of vitamins and minerals for a well-rounded meal that will become your pet’s signature diet for life.
- This grain-free, limited-ingredient mix contains only one protein source
- It is made using lamb from New Zealand’s farmlands.
- Contains Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, and Iron, Manganese, and Vitamin A and B12, Riboflavin, Niacin, Iron, Zinc, Copper, and Selenium.
- This recipe is free of corn, wheat, soy, dairy, and chicken
- With potent antioxidants and fiber-rich, low-glycemic carbs, peas and chickpeas round out the mix.
American Journey Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
American Journey is packed with healthy nutrients that will keep your pet going on their daily excursions.
The natural deboned beef in the Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food mix provides your dog with the protein and amino acids he needs for leaner muscles and the outstanding flavor she enjoys.
America Beef and Sweet Potato is a high-protein dog food that satisfies your dog’s natural need for real meat. It has a minimum protein value of 32 percent and is manufactured mainly from deboned beef.
Red meat provides all the vital amino acids needed to keep your chow chow’s muscles nourished and active.
Many of the nutrients in this formula originate from sweet potatoes, blueberries, and carrots, among other vegetables and fruits.
Sweet potatoes and peas are high in readily digested carbohydrates, whereas fruits are high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which promote cell repair and immunity.
In addition, the formula is high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which help keep your chow chow’s skin and coat healthy and lustrous.
Sweet potatoes and chickpeas are used to provide your dog with long-lasting energy.
In addition, your dog will obtain important fiber, phytonutrients, and antioxidants from fruits and vegetables, including carrots, dry kelp, and blueberries.
There are plenty of omega fatty acids, including D.H.A., an omega-3 that promotes brain and eye development.
Omega-3 fatty acids may be found in various foods, including salmon oil and flaxseed, and they assist in keeping your companion adventurer’s skin and coat healthy.
- Grain-free dog food without maize, wheat, or soy to assist food-sensitive canines
- Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients are all found in nutritious fruits and vegetables, including blueberries, carrots, and dried kelp.
- High-protein dog food made with deboned beef
- Packed with amino acids that help your dog retain lean muscle mass.
- Omega-3 and six fatty acids promote your dog’s skin and coat health and brain and eye development.
- Chickpeas and sweet potatoes are high in fiber and provide sustained energy
Merrick Backcountry Freeze-Dried Raw Grain-Free Great Plains Red Recipe Big Game Recipe with Beef, Lamb & Rabbit Dry Dog Food
Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Great Plains Red Recipe will make your dog wag his tail.
The first component in this freeze-dried dry food for dogs is actual deboned beef. Then, it’s paired with lamb and rabbit in a protein-rich and highly digestible poultry-free mix.
This grain-free dry dog food comprises freeze-dried raw-coated kibble and freeze-dried raw bits to provide all of the advantages of a raw diet to your canine companion.
Recipe for Merricks Backcountry Great Plains Red Dog food provides a high-protein diet with both raw and dry food advantages.
It comprises freeze-dried meat powder-coated kibble and freeze-dried raw meat bits, considerably increasing the protein content of the dog food.
And, unlike other formulations, this one uses beef, lamb, and rabbit meat as a source of protein, which helps maintain your Chow’s body strong and energetic.
Aside from that, the mix contains omega fatty acids, which nourish your Chow’s coat and make it smoother and more lustrous. It also contains glucosamine and chondroitin to assist your dog’s joint and bone health, which is especially important as they become older.
It contains high quantities of omega fatty acids to maintain healthy skin and a lustrous coat and glucosamine and chondroitin to assist hip and joint function.
It’s paw-fect for helping adult dogs of all breeds grow strong muscles and keep their energy levels up throughout the day.
- Beef-flavored freeze-dried raw-diet dry dog food.
- As the initial component, actual deboned beef is used.
- Freeze-dried raw-coated kibble and freeze-dried raw bits are included.
- Lamb and rabbit are included in a protein-rich and highly digestible poultry-free formula.
- Made in Hereford, Texas, and cooked in the United States.
Taste of the Wilds High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Taste of the Wilds High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food provides your puppy companion with the balanced nutrition that nature intended.
To support muscular building, it has a protein-dense dietary profile with meat taken from premium proteins, including buffalo, bison, and deer.
In addition, the dish uses carbohydrates from peas and potatoes instead of grains to provide your puppy’s energy demands without stressing their stomach.
The recipe also includes a variety of vitamins and minerals derived from natural fruits and vegetables.
It also contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which nourish the skin and make your dog’s coat smoother and more glossy.
With K9 probiotics, the dog food also enhances your puppy’s digestive health and promotes nutritional absorption.
This grain-free dish contains peas and sweet potatoes and natural antioxidant support from real fruits and vegetables and dried chicory root for prebiotic support and good digestion and is made with innovative proteins like buffalo and bison.
- Made with roasted bison and venison as the first ingredient
- Contains vitamins and minerals from natural fruits and superfoods
- Contains Omega fatty acids for skin and coat health
- It contains K9 Strain Proprietary Probiotics to promote good digestion, immune system health, and general health and wellness.
- Grain-free, corn-free, wheat-free, artificial flavor-free, and artificial color-free.
ZiwiPeak Beef Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food
Feed ZiwiPeak Beef Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food to your pooch for farm-to-bowl nutrition. This recipe is pure and straightforward, exactly like the Ziwi love for dogs, and it provides your dog with the finest of New Zealand.
This diet contains fresh meat, organs, bones, and green mussels for a natural supply of chondroitin and glucosamine to promote joint health. It also includes a lot of taurines, which is good for your heart.
The recipe calls for the best cattle flesh, organs, and bones, providing a nutritional balance comparable to the chow chow’s ancestors.
It also includes a unique component called green mussel, which is high in glucosamine and chondroitin and helps maintain joint and bone health.
The dog meal has a superior nutritional profile than standard dog feeds and has no preservatives because it is air-dried.
It’s also devoid of cereals, maize, wheat, soy, potatoes, sugar, and various artificial chemicals, making it an excellent alternative for sensitive and allergic dogs.
They naturally retain all components while also eliminating dangerous microorganisms using a mild twin-stage air-drying process.
Because air-dried food has more moisture than dry kibble, there’s no need to rehydrate it, and there are no preservatives, sweeteners, or glycerine; the food is safe, clean, and simple to handle.
- This single-protein recipe comprises 96 percent meat, organs, bone, and New Zealand green mussels.
- Free of added carbohydrates and fillers
- Increases mobility, vigor with 10% superfood additions of cold-washed green tripe, New Zealand green mussels, and organic kelp.
- Serve as a whole meal or a delectable topping to animal pals of all ages and breeds.
- All free-range meats and wild-caught seafood are ethically and sustainably obtained without additional hormones, antibiotics, or growth promoters.
Nutro Natural’s Choice Senior Lamb & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
Give your furry friend a big dose of natural nutrition Nutro Natural’s Choice Senior Dry Dog Food.
This dry dog food is designed keeping in mind your senior dogs’ needs. Antioxidants are included to help your dog’s immune system.
This dish is created using lamb, which is a high-quality protein source. It also contains calcium to maintain strong bones and joints, as well as natural fiber to aid digestion.
This non-GMO food is manufactured with identifiable ingredients and contains no chicken byproduct meal, maize, wheat, or soy, so you can feel good about it.
- Dry dog food with actual lamb as the first component and high-quality protein.
- Free of maize, wheat, and soy, and made with non-GMO ingredients.
- Antioxidants are essential for immune health, and natural fiber aids digestion.
- Calcium is included to help maintain healthy joints.
- Excellent for senior dogs aged seven and up.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Senior Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food·
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula was developed to help dogs maintain their health and well-being.
All of the formulas start with real meat, healthy grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, and LifeSource Bits, a precise combination of nutrients boosted with an antioxidant-rich Super 7 package.
This Senior Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe is made with tasty, protein-rich deboned chicken and ingredients that help senior dogs’ general health and well-being.
- Increased high-quality protein and L-Carnitine for healthy muscle maintenance and carbohydrates for energy.
- Joint health and mobility with glucosamine and chondroitin.
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids are essential for skin and coat health.
- Vitamins, chelated minerals, and antioxidants are all beneficial to the immune system.
- There are no maize, wheat, soy, or byproduct meals from chicken (or fowl).
Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Grain-Free Sweet Potato & Venison Formula Dry Dog Food
Limited Ingredient Diets (L.I.D.) by Natural Balance For dinnertime, Sweet Potato & Venison Dry Dog Food provides a nutritious and delectable venison entrée to your dog’s dish.
This grain-free composition has only a few protein and carbohydrate sources, making it perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies to conventional dog kibble ingredients.
Flaxseed contains omega-3 fatty acids, nourishing the skin and keeping your dog’s hair bright and healthy.
- A grain-free, low-carbohydrate dish with no artificial flavors or colors.
- Good nutrition is beneficial to one’s overall health.
- All breeds will benefit from this high-quality food.
- Flaxseed’s omega-3 fatty acid promotes a healthy and lustrous coat in dogs.
- This recipe is ideal for dogs with food allergies because it only has one animal protein source.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe with Red Meat Large Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe with Red Meat for Large Breeds was intended to nourish today’s dogs with the same sense of adventure with real red meat, natural veggies, and real fruit.
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe is based on the wolf’s diet and is designed to keep your dog slim and active.
Deboned beef, venison, and lamb meat are included in the mix, which gives enough protein and helps chow chows maintain a strong body.
The dog food also contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which help this fluffy breed keep a lustrous and healthy coat.
It also includes a variety of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, all of which contribute to robust immunity and general health.
Glucosamine and chondroitin promote joint health, particularly significant in giant breeds. In addition, multiple protein sources such as beef, venison, and lamb help your pet absorb as much nourishment as possible.
- This formula is produced from deboned beef, lamb, and venison and is an excellent alternative to raw food diets.
- The omega-3 and six fatty acids in the coat make it lustrous and healthy.
- This high-protein diet is free of chicken, byproduct meals, corn, wheat, and soy and will satisfy your dog.
- Antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables are among the most incredible natural nutrients.
- Grain-free pet food that is gentle on delicate tummies.
Merrick Grain-Free Wet Puppy Food Puppy Plate Chicken Recipe
Merrick Grain-Free Wet Puppy Food Puppy Plate Chicken Recipe is a paw-some meal for your puppy.
This healthful, grain-free wet food for pups contains actual deboned chicken, carrots, apples, and sweet potatoes in a flavorful gravy.
This nutrient-dense but straightforward composition encourages growth and keeps your puppy active and happy.
In addition, it contains actual deboned chicken, which helps your dog grow consistently by encouraging muscular building through various amino acids.
Apples, sweet potatoes, and carrots are included to supply vitamins and minerals for your puppy’s general wellness.
It’s a terrific alternative for finicky eaters because of the tasty gravy. It also has D.H.A., a fatty acid that aids eyesight and brain function.
This recipe also includes D.H.A. to aid cognitive development and vitamins and minerals for a well-rounded diet.
And you can rest easy knowing it’s created without corn, wheat, soy, animal byproducts, or chemical preservatives in Merrick’s Hereford, Texas kitchen.
- A grain-free, wag-worthy wet dog food recipe for pups of all breeds.
- This recipe includes actual deboned chicken for the high-quality protein your developing dog requires.
- In a mouthwatering gravy, made with real apples, sweet potatoes, carrots, and peas.
- D.H.A. is present to aid in the formation of a healthy brain.
- Vitamins and minerals are included for a complete and balanced diet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are The Common Health Issues Found In Chow Chows?
All purebred dogs, like all people, are susceptible to inherited health issues.
The Chow Chow has various health issues that can be problematic, especially if you don’t buy from a reputable breeder.
Here are some of the common ailments found in Chow Chows.
Eye Diseases In Chow Chows
Entropion (rolled-in eyelids), but also ectropion (rolled-OUT eyelids), cataracts, corneal dystrophy, glaucoma, persistent pupillary membranes (which can severely impair vision in this breed), retinal dysplasia, eyelash abnormalities, and occasionally progressive retinal atrophy are all common eye diseases in this breed (P.R.A.).
Throat Disorders In Chow Chows
Their soft palate (the flap of skin that runs over the back of the neck and prevents food and water from entering the windpipe) is frequently plump and extended, and it tends to slide freely into the throat.
This results in loud breathing and persistent snoring, making it challenging to anesthetize this breed safely.
Skin And Coat Conditions In Chow Chows
Allergies, bacterial skin infections (pyoderma), demodectic mange, follicular dysplasia, pemphigus, and color dilution alopecia are common chronic skin problems in blue Chows.
How Many Macros To Feed A Chow Chow?
Chow Chow requires a nutritionally balanced diet and is made up of only the best foods. Lean protein is the cornerstone of the most refined diets for Chow Chows.
Beef and red meats should be avoided since they can trigger skin reactions in certain puppies.
Meat meals are an excellent concentrated supply of amino acids to assist healthy muscular development, even though whole meats are the recommended protein source.
Meat byproducts and plant-based proteins like soy, maize, and wheat, on the other hand, should be avoided for the most significant benefits.
These products can cause allergic responses in dogs and have little nutritional value.
Whole grains, fruits, and vegetables are all excellent sources of carbohydrates. Therefore, the digestion of any carbohydrate given in a Chow Chow’s diet is essential.
In addition, antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables are also suitable for boosting their immune system.
Healthy fats are a crucial component of any high-quality Chow Chow diet. Adults require critical fatty acids for brain and eye development and good skin and coat health.
These are provided by healthy fats. Animal fats, such as chicken fat and fatty fish, are the most acceptable sources.
Plant-based oils like canola and safflower, on the other hand, provide several health advantages.
Because the Chow Chow is a breed prone to skin problems, vitamins incorporated in a food’s composition can benefit puppies.
Prebiotics, probiotics, glucosamine, and chondroitin are all good nutrients to add to a Chow Chow’s diet.
How To Pick Food For Your Chow Chow?
The unique lion-like mane of Chow Chow pups is well-known. The Chow Chow breed, known for its passionate personality, carries itself with tremendous dignity and pride.
Chow Chow benefits from a diet free of the most prevalent food allergies, as the breed is susceptible to skin issues.
In addition, supplements that increase the omega 3 and 6 fatty acid content of a diet are beneficial to the skin, coat, and overall health.
The best dog diets for Chow Chow are nutrient-dense and give all of the nutrients that a growing puppy requires at each stage of development.
The dietary requirements of Chow Chows are distinct from those of other breeds. Chow Chow thrives on a diet that is somewhat high in meat.
However, beef should be avoided at all costs since it is linked to skin flare-ups in Chow Chow.
How Much Should I Feed My Chow Chow?
Chow Chow is classified as a giant breed dog, and they require a special diet tailored to their needs.
It’s good to use the suggested serving sizes given on the packaging as a starting point when determining how much best dog food for Chow Chow to feed a puppy or adult.
These can be tweaked based on the Chow Chow’s weight, hunger, and activity level until the correct amount is determined.
The right pace of bone development is critical for the adult Chow Chow’s ultimate structure.
Therefore, the Chow Chow puppy should be fed a giant breed puppy’s diet until it reaches one year of age or 75 percent of its mature size.
Because bloat is a typical problem in Chow Chow, it’s crucial to ensure the puppy doesn’t eat too much or too rapidly.
Though the exact etiology of bloat in dogs is unknown, these two elements are thought to have a role in developing the condition.
Obesity is a problem that many Chow Chow pups face. Free feeding is strongly discouraged to avoid this from happening.
Chow Chow breed should be fed with a modest level of protein. This is graded between 20 and 22 percent, with slightly more significant quantities acceptable if there are no skin or coat responses.
In addition, the food should have an approximate fat level of 8%.
Many high-quality dog food brands are available, but these three are our favorites due to their high nutritional content and excellent reviews.
Taste of the Wild Pacific Streams Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is an exceptionally high-protein alternative that focuses on Chow Chow’s overall nutrition.
Because only the finest quality ingredients are utilized, these mixes are also suggested for dogs with allergies and digestive difficulties.
Taste of the Wilds High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is best suited for your adorable, fast-growing Chow Chow.
And Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Senior Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food is the perfect blend of ingredients for your beloved Senior Chow Chow.
Since each brand has its particular features, consider your Chow’s requirements before buying the one you like most!